To prepare for final exams, you need to revise the study material, avoid making common mistakes and deal with stress. Looking for exam hacks, read our blog at Examtips.info and make your exam preparation easier!
Everything You Should Know About the Exam Preparation
Since the exam period is drawing closer, it may be too late to study theoretical material. However, it’s never too late to make the most out of exam preparation. Here at Examtips, we are focused on helping students prepare for upcoming exams, so the main goal of our platform is to provide visitors with actionable tips and tricks.
At the beginning of a new college year, you’ve promised yourself to get ready for exams in advance. The earlier you start, the more time you have to prepare for exams. However, your exam is just in two weeks, and you haven’t started revising yet.
Since most students are afraid of failures, we often leave it until the last minute to start revising course materials. And it’s the biggest mistake we all make.
If you pass exams successfully, it’s high time to prepare for exams. Thus, you’d better understand everything about the exam preparation to simplify this process and therefore get better marks with ease.
Types of Exams
During the college years, students pass different exams as a common evaluation tool to check your knowledge. Depending on the type of exam, there are different tips and tricks to get ready for it:
- multiple choice: you have one question and several answering options where just one answer is correct. First of all, you need to ensure your lectures are complete and you know the key terms and theories. When it comes to choosing the right answer, you need to predict it before reading the options.
- true/false: you need to indicate whether the given statement is true or false. Although it’s the easiest exam type, pay close attention to the task as some questions can be tricky.
- matching: you have the list of definitions and choices that you should pair. The best way to pass this exam is to know the answers without reading options. Practice matching tasks before the exam to ensure you understand how it works.
- short answer: taking this exam, you have to write short answers (several words or sentences) to show the understanding of key facts and terms. The first step toward passing this exam is to revise the lectures. You can write thesis answers to save time on writing paragraphs.
- essay: depending on the essay type, you have to show that you understand the material in a written form. Learn more about the requirements for different essay types and create an outline before writing the essay.
- oral: this exam type requires an oral presentation of the material to recall the information and show off an in-depth understanding of the material. Try to speak in front of your groupmates to overcome public speaking fear. Don’t be afraid of asking a tutor to explain the question again if needed.
- computational: you need to do math calculations to find the right answer to the question. In most cases, you need to know how to solution techniques. Before the exam, take notes with theories to revise them. Plus, when solving the tasks, put your notes so that the teacher can see the process and evaluate your theoretical knowledge.
Once you know how to prepare for a particular exam type, it’s important to find out tips that will make your preparation even more effective.
8 Tips for Effective Exam Preparation
Successful exam preparation requires not only time but also study tips. While all students know that they should revise lecture materials before exams, it’s also important to know other tricks that can help you stay focused on learning, improve your memory, and get ready for the final test.
Here’s the list of tips for effective exam preparation:
1. Good Mood
It’s impossible to study hard when you think about entertainment. If you want to maximize the educational process, you need to get into the learning mood – think about your educational goals, visualize your success, and start hitting the books.
2. Increase Brain Power
If you want to learn faster, memorize things better, and think outside the box, you need to unlock your brainpower potential. With the right workplace organization and snacks, you can make your brain work smarter.
3. Get Rid of Distractions
We all know that getting ready for an exam is difficult, especially when you want to chat or hang out with your friends. To stay focused on the educational process, you need to get rid of distractions, so you’d better find a cozy place and turn off mobile notifications. The more concentrated you are, the less time you need to revise the material.
4. Take Notes
It’s scientifically proven that taking notes helps to remember material better. If you want to pay attention to some facts or theories, just write this information down. Moreover, good notes can help you pass an exam as you can revise the material right before the test.
5. Take Practice Exams
With the rise of modern technologies, it’s easy to find websites that offer practice exams for students who want to give exams a try. Once you take practice exams, you can evaluate your knowledge and understand your gaps to work on these areas.
6. Collaborate with Friends
To make sure you know the material from A to Z, collaborate with your friends and divide yourself into study groups to put each other questions and reply to them orally. If you can explain material in your own words, it’s more likely you understand it well.
7. Use Flashcards
Whether you want to get ready for the exam or lesson, flashcards are a handy revision tool to test your knowledge. Moreover, it’s easy to create flashcards on your own – just prepare double-sided cards to write terms, theories, and vocabulary to test yourself.
8. Get Enough Sleep
The quality of your sleep affects your physical and mental health, and therefore it has an impact on your performance during the exam. On average, students need 7-8 hours of sleep, so ensure you get enough sleep before the exam.
The Final Thoughts
Exam preparation requires time and effort, but taking exams can help you get ready for the upcoming tests too. With your experience, you can understand what tricks work well for you and use some of the above-mentioned ways to make the most out of exam preparation. If you want to prepare for exams, start now and you will be ready to improve your performance during the exams.